Message from APS District:
APS High School Staff, Parents and Guardians,
As many of you may have heard through media reports, there has been growing interest and pressure to reopen high school football and start a fall season next week. Some districts have opted to play in a Season “A” and will start practicing next week. However, we have made the decision that as a district, all of our football teams and sideline spirit (cheerleading) squads will be playing in Season “C”, which starts in the spring of 2021.
Since the revised Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) 2020-21 sports schedule was announced last month, our football teams and spirit squads had been planning and looking forward to the spring season. We are confident that the work of our students and coaches will allow for a strong and competitive experience for everyone, including the opportunity to compete for a championship against many of our traditional rivals. As such, we will continue to support and encourage all of our schools to participate in Season C.
We understand that this may be disappointing news for some and welcome news for others. We have prioritized a return to as much in-person learning as possible as soon as possible. The late edition of these sports seems likely to compromise our in-person instructional plan under the current Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) guidance. While variances have been granted to allow play, the current health guidance around when to exclude students and others in their cohorts does not align with the late introduction of these sports. By playing in Season C we can implement the expected changes to CDPHE guidance in a way that allows our students to fully take advantage of in-person learning and participation in these sports.
Currently, all of our comprehensive high schools plan to participate in Season C. That includes Aurora Central, Gateway, Hinkley, Rangeview and Vista PEAK Preparatory.
Below are the key Season C dates:
- Start of practice: February 25, 2021
- First game: March 11, 2021
- Round 1 of playoffs: April 24, 2021
- Semifinals: May 1, 2021
- Championships: May 8, 2021
Below is additional information provided by the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA):
- Schools can choose to play in either Season A (fall) or Season C (spring).
- Schools can only play in one season.
- The season structure will be identical in each season.
- There will be a champion named in each season.
- Teams will play a 6+1 season, meaning all teams will play a six-game regular season. Teams that miss the playoffs can schedule a seventh game against another non-qualifier in Week 1 or Week 2 of the postseason. Teams that make the playoffs will play at least seven games.
- Teams must play four of the six regular-season games in order to be eligible for the postseason.
- Playoffs will be an eight-team bracket, which is set and seeded by the CHSAA Seeding Index (RPI, MaxPreps, CHSAANow coaches poll, and Packard Rankings).
- If possible, leagues will be kept intact if 50% of a league remains playing in a given season. However, leagues may need to be redrawn as needed to allow for six games.
- All schools, in Season A or Season C, will have a schedule built by the CHSAA office due to the short amount of time prior to the start of the season.
- Schools have been sent COVID-specific guidelines, and will continue to receive further information about these restrictions.
For more information about our full athletics schedule for the 2020-21 school year, click here. We recognize how critically important it is for our students to participate in sports and activities throughout the school year. We hope all APS students find opportunities to get involved and we look forward to the upcoming seasons. If you have specific questions about your student’s participation in sports, please contact your school’s athletic director. Thank you for your continued support.
– Superintendent Rico Munn